How to teach the open source way - workshop SCALE9x
Revision as of 00:15, 6 January 2011 by Quaid
This is a planning page for a workshop for SCALE 9x.
Status: Proposing workshop to SCALE organizers.
- Friday all day - 8 hour special day workshop.
- Least attendance
- Best focus
- Saturday 3 hours and/or Sunday 3 hours.
- Better attendance
- Slightly distracted by comparison due to ongoing event
- Shorter duration may make for better event due to focus and ability to repeat.
- 3 hour blocks on Sat/Sun are based on a recollection of there being workshops of that length on th onose days in past years.
- Suggesting only one session each Sat/Sun so POSSE workshop can be in other session.
Goals of the workshop are:
- Engage with an audience as students and teachers - learn from each other by contributing, e.g. to TOSW or TOS textbook.
- Audience learning objectives:
- Is comfortable with giving increasing complexities of explanations of the open source way that build on each other and: 15-second, 30-second, 1-minute, 2-minute, 3-minute, 5-minute, 10-minute, 20-minute, 30-minute.
- Is able to use knowledge of the open source way and associated handbook to affect a project or program in a software domain to move in a more open, collaborative, radically transparent direction.
- Is able to use knowledge of the open source way and associated handbook to affect a project or program in a non-software domain to move in a more open, collaborative, radically transparent direction.
- Can teach others at least a portion of what they learned in the workshop, thereby spreading the knowledge the open source way.
- Audience contributing objectives:
- Add three examples to The Open Source Way that are not from the FLOSS world.
- Work with one or more other audience memnbers to help complete two or more implementation sections.
- Advance or begin a chapter on implementation, "Foo the open source way".