Metrics working group session at the GSoC Mentor Summit 2011
This page is a verbatim mirror of the canonical page located at https://gsoc-wiki.osuosl.org/index.php/Metrics_working_group and is used here under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2. This copy shall not be modified in any way; all modifications are made in the canonical upstream and re-mirrored here.
Please use MediaWiki syntax for easy pasting in to the wiki when we are done.
- Heard from the new community manager for MediaWiki
- They have no visibility in to trending
- What is mailing list traffic doing?
- "How do I know who to reach out? Prevent attrition?"
- Like to see some kind of aggregate of how people are doing
- Such as pulling data from bug tracker to find out where the hotspots of problems are.
Could this be a first action of the working group - emergency & trauma tracking?
- Focus on running hackathons
Pentaho being used for some metrics tools.
- Under Mozilla & Meego
- Meego's is released, but not a drop-in
- Older versions, etc.
- Mozilla is moving toward an integrated something
- But no source is happening yet
People to contact about metrics-wg:
- David Eaves
- Pedro from Pentaho
- Paul Adams, KDE
Look at both individual contributors and companies
Tie community metrics into "product" output
Goals - Why have a strong community? Can you tie it into your project goals, like:
- Improved product
- Happier people
- More code
Improve the funnel of 90/9/1 lurkers/contributors/core community
- An example of what little can be or has been done for tracking a diverse Linux distro userbase.
Participant types for the working group:
- ACAD (Academia)
- CORP (Corporations)
- FOUN (Foundations)
- FOSS (Free/open source software projects)
- GOVT (Government)
Things to track/highlight: (in a dashboard?)
- Hit-by-bus factor
- How much do people care?
- How do we inform people of how they are being measured?
- Looking at Meego metrics:
- It's the only one out there with code we can try using right now
- It's usable, if you mess with it
- Graphs and statistics about commits, bugs, etc.
- Fill out https://www.theopensourceway.org/wiki/Metrics_working_group
- Join http://lists.theopensourceway.org/mailman/listinfo/metrics-wg
- Research sentiment analysis software
- Use http://piratepad.net/tosw-metrics-wg-initial-invites
- See what academia is doing
What to work on NOW:
- Get your own instance of what Meego has done up and running.
- Start collecting data now, some of the data is not kept over time.
- Especially for looking at lurkers
- Invite people to join the group
The mission of the group is to create methods for tracking community health.
Etherpad for group editing of notes