Converting to DocBook XML
Revision as of 18:03, 23 April 2010 by Quaid
This is the procedure we follow when converting content from the wiki in to the DocBook XML, Publican-based guide in git.
The initial conversion was done following the process on this page:
- Go to each chapter's wiki page.
- Use the 'history' tab to bring up the changelog list for the page.
- Select the previous conversion point and the last change as the two boundaries for viewing a diff of the changes.
- Edit the changes revealed by the diff in to the XML.
- Note where the XML uses a different construct in how information is structured; some wiki tricks (using separate sections) doesn't translate as well to XML.
- If mistakes in the wiki are noticed, commit the fix to the wiki at the same time, noting in both changelogs that the fix is in both locations.
- Test the build, fix any XML errors.
- Commit changes to git, noting the updates come from the upstream wiki.
- Build HTML (chunked and single page) and PDF; upload new versions to canonical location
- Current canonical: http://theopensourceway.org/book